How to get away with wearing pajamas for Halloween!
This is my first Halloween as a mom. As a child my mom would never buy me the store bought costumes, not because she didn't like them but just to encourage creativity and a unique idea. This bled into my costumes as a teenager and adult ranging from a lighthouse to clams casino! My mom always encouraged us to be creative and make a fun and sometimes obscure costume!
With little time and Halloween fast approaching, I suddenly realized I didn’t have the time to follow my mom’s example! Lacking a glue gun, a sewing machine and the time to construct a costume in our small city apartment I am resorting to a Sandra Lee version of a Halloween costume, "semi-homemade".
Joy Street Kids “semi-homemade” DIY Halloween Costumes
I bring to you the Joy Street Kids solve for last minute Halloween costume ideas! And it doesn't hurt that these can be re-worn for bed the next night rather than tossed into the custom bin after the candy trade ends. P.S. Who else traded their little sister 3 Musketeers for Reeses?? (sorry Sally!)
- What you will need: Joy Street Kids multi color pajamas in any print, an octopus belt and octopus cap
- Step 1: Snag a pair of our multi print pajamas offered in a variety of city prints
- Step 2: Purchase an octopus belt and cap, we especially like this one from etsy
- Step 3: Put your Joy Street Kids pajamas on and and throw on the Octopus belt and cap and watch out for your little ones 8 arms!
- What you will need: Joy Street Kids blue pajamas in any print, a dragon or dinosaur tail and cap
- Step 1: Snag a pair of our blue print pajamas offered in a variety of city prints
- Step 2: Purchase a dragon tail and cap, we especially like this one from etsy
- Step 3: Put your Joy Street Kids pajamas on and and throw on your dragon tail and cap and just make sure this little dragon doesn’t melt all the chocolate on the block!
The Little Piggy
- What you will need: Joy Street Kids pink pajamas in any print, pig ears, pig nose and a pig tail
- Step 1: Grab a pair of pink Joy Street Kids pajamas offered in a variety of city prints
- Step 2: Purchase a set of children’s pig accessories including ears, a pig nose and a pig tail, we especially like this one from etsy
- Step 3: Put your pink Joy Street Kids pajamas on, pin on the pig tail, nose and ears and then find two other little piggies to go trick or treating with and steer clear of the big bad wolf!
The Grape Bunch
- What you will need: purple pajamas, purple balloons, green felt, a green knit hat and small safety pin, scissors
- Step 1: Snag a pair of our Martha’s Vineyard purple pajamas
- Step 2: Find and purchase several purple balloons
- Step 3: Blow up the purple balloons to a variety of sizes!
- Step 4: Carefully safety pin the end of the balloon to the top of the pajamas with more at the top and fewer at the bottom to resemble a grape bunch
- Step 5: Take your green felt and fold it in half and cut a circle large enough to go over the child’s head out of the center. Then cut the edges of the felt to resemble the edges of leaves. Lastly cut a few extra large leaves out of the felt.
- Step 6: Grab a green knitted hat, we love this one from Shit That I Knit (aka STIK), Take your felt leaves and pin to the top of the hat
- Step 7: Get dressed! Put on the pajama pants and carefully slip on the top to not pop the balloons. Place the felt collar over the child’s head and wear it around the neck. Place the green hat on your child’s head and your little will look GRAPE!